Thursday, February 16, 2012

The red light on my phone had been blinking Wednesday night. By the time I decided to check my voicemail it was around 10, right before my bedtime. Early Thursday morning I checked my voicemail and I was surprised to hear who left me the message. It was an elderly Hungarian lady who I've known for pretty much all my life. She was one of my Hungarian teachers, one my Hungarian girl scout troop leaders, and a close family friend. She asked me to give her a call. It was a simple message, but she doesn't call me often and I know my mom had spoken to her just the other day. I was both curious and a bit worried. I was able to call her and speak to her later Thursday morning. 5 am was a bit early...my rule is call after 9 am just to be safe and don't call after 10 pm. The reason for her call was to ask me for an address. She had something she wanted to send and she misplaced the address. After talking to her a bit I decided that I could easily go over to her house after school because I had the time and it's been a while since I've seen her. When I told her I'd be happy to stop over after school, she was so happy...I could hear in her voice that she was looking forward to seeing me. I have to add that she said to bring Zserbo too. She likes Zserbo as does her grandson. When we pulled into the driveway, Zserbo was already excited , barking in the car, and Magdi néni was at the door smiling, laughing at Zserbo. We spent about two hours talking, catching up, just enjoying each other's company. So, what's my point? There's always a point...it just takes some time for me to get to it. Something so simple, something a bit spontaneous, something that you do for someone else that didn't take much effort nor much time out of the day was something that I am so glad I did. I'm glad I took the time because it made such a difference for Magdi néni, but it made a difference for me too. The time I took to spend with someone who was a part of my life for many years...someone who I know loves me dearly...someone who I don't see regularly but ought to...it meant so much to me on so many different levels. What levels? I'll let you think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment