Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Perfect Storm


The "perfect storm"...I think that title comes quite close to being an oxymoron. After watching all of the devastating effects this storm caused on so many people, it's anything but "perfect". However, as far as the storm was concerned, it came onto the east coast with a fury most of us have never experienced. In that sense, the storm could be, and was, considered "perfect" in meteorological terms. Over the course of just about a week, I had the opportunity to become absorbed in a new book. Without electricity, a good book is a great way to spend the time while sitting next to a warm fireplace with a cup of tea. Board games, card games, any game for that matter, get old after a few hours of competitive play. The next best thing, in my opinion, is a good good. I have to say I prefer reading to the game playing. In my family, when playing Monopoly, no one ever gets the really expensive real estate like Park Place and the Boardwalk except for my dad. I'm lucky if I can get the cheap real estate, not go broke, and get a "get out of jail free card." The game of Life, Mouse Trap, and Candy Land are more my speed. As far as playing cards, I'm a Crazy Eights expert, I'm ok at Black Jack, and I’d say I’m a skilled Rummy player. I recently tried to learn Snapszer, but it was quite involved. As far as Poker goes, I don't like to gamble, especially if it's with real money. Using Halloween candy, peanuts or Bingo chips is more my style. Although, placing a quarter into a slot machine and then pulling the lever can be a lot of fun, especially the anticipation of waiting for the jackpot pictures lining up with all of the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, Atlantic City suffered some severe damage from Sandy. I have to say that once again, I am counting my blessings because my family and friends are safe, and didn't suffer too much damage from Sandy. I was lucky to be able to spend time reading a great book...The Silver Lining Playbook. I spent the hurricane days with my family and I also had my pets with me, so I really didn't have too much to worry about, for which I am thankful. As always, I am able to count my blessings and I am aware of how fortunate I am in so many ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment